- Grandview School District
Class of 2020 Graduation Celebration kicks off on June 8 and concludes with parade & virtual graduation on June 13
We are excited to announce the details for the upcoming graduation celebration we have planned for the Grandview High School Class of 2020. We have been working hard to make sure we are doing everything we can to give our seniors the recognition and fanfare they have earned and deserve.
Our celebration of the GHS Class of 2020 actually began about two weeks ago, when GHS staff, along with city staff, joined forces to deliver 245 yard signs – one to every senior. The signs serve as a reminder to the whole community that our seniors must be celebrated.
And the celebration continues as we move into June!
- To recognize how special the GHS Class of 2020 is and what an unprecedented moment we’re living in, we’ve partnered with the City of Grandview to be sure that this time in history is marked. The City of Grandview plans to proclaim the week of June 8, as Class of 2020 Graduation Week.
- Then on June 8, we will place 3-foot-by-4-foot banners – each one featuring a different senior’s name and photo – along the school fences that line West Second Street. Families are encouraged to place flowers, balloons and other decorations around your senior’s banner.
- At 10 a.m. on Saturday, June 13, we will be celebrating our graduates with an official graduation parade through downtown Grandview. The parade will go from Grandview Middle School, along Second Street and end at Elm Street. People are invited to come out and watch the parade. We ask that all social distancing protocols be followed by both parade participants and observers.
- Then at 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 13, we will premiere our virtual graduation video. The video will include speeches from the class Valedictorian and Salutatorian, as well as the class speaker. The video will include pictures of all of our graduates and will serve as a way to commemorate our 245 graduating seniors.
For the parade, each graduate will have one parade entry (student only, golf cart, in a car, etc.) – which can be decorated. Graduates can be joined in the parade by their immediate family. They will line up in alphabetical order in the Grandview Middle School parking lot. All social distancing protocols will be followed, with parade entries being spaced apart as they line up. Graduates MUST wear their cap and gown for the parade.
The parade will begin at 10 a.m. with graduates making their way from Grandview Middle School through town along West Second Street, ending at Elm Street. This is a great opportunity for the community to celebrate our seniors.
Graduation festivities will conclude at 7 p.m. on Saturday, June 13, with the premiere of our virtual graduation video. The video will include traditional graduation speeches, formal graduation photos of every graduate, recognition of our Top Ten and scholarship recipients. The video will premiere on the Grandview School District’s YouTube channel, Facebook page, a link will be sent out as a push notification through our Grandview School District app, the link will also be emailed out to student’s email addresses and, of course, it will be available on our Grandview School District website.
More detailed information about all of the above activities will be shared with our seniors prior to June 8 as they prepare to be celebrated.
We know this looks different from anything we’ve ever done, but rest assured much planning and thoughtful consideration went into these plans. We want to ensure each of our graduates gets the recognition they deserve and have worked so hard for.