• Required School Immunizations 

    Washington state law requires pre-school and school-age children to receive specific immunizations or have a completed Certificate of Exemption (COE) on file in order to attend school. Grandview School District follows Washington State immunization laws and regulations. All children must show proof of immunization or a COE. 

    Required immunizations for school can be found here: English Spanish

    Students on the recommended schedule will get their immunizations before kindergarten (age 4-6) and 7th grade (age 11-12).

    School Immunization Reminder

    It is important to make sure your child goes to their regularly scheduled wellness appointments, which often include immunizations. The summer months are a great time to get your child caught up with immunization requirements before the 2022-2023 school year. Schedule your appointments early, as health care providers' schedules quickly fill up in August. 

    This reminder is especially important if your child is transitioning to Preschool, Kindergarten, or 7th grade, as each of these grades has additional immunization requirements.


    School Module

    Grandview School District is changing how we manage student immunization records. We are now using the School Module, an online system provided by the Washington State Department of Health. The School Module is part of the Washington State Immunization Information System (IIS) and allows us to quickly and efficiently check if your child has the vaccines required for school. This will save us time on finding and entering vaccination dates and free up time to work with students. Most children born and/or vaccinated in Washington already have their information in the system. You can access your child's records at any time by signing up for MyIR (see below). 

    As we move to this system, the school nurse may ask you for more information about your child's vaccination history. If your child is missing vaccines in the system, we may ask for a copy of their immunization record. The school nurse will now also have the ability to enter medically-verified immunization records into the state system (IIS), with your permission, providing students with a complete lifetime immunization record.  

    Washington State Immunization Information System (IIS)

    The Washington State Immunization Information System is a lifetime registry that keeps track of immunization records for people of all ages. The system is a secure, web-based tool for healthcare providers and schools. If a doctor or clinic uses the IIS, they can document your child's immunizations and who gave them, so that even if you move, change providers, or lose your immunization records, you will be able to access them.

    MyIR allows you to manage your family's immunization records securely online. Once you register, you can access the records any time you need them. You can also print your child's Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) for school or childcare entry. You can do all of this without an extra trip to your healthcare provider or school. Click here to register.

    Washington State Law allows parents or guardians to exempt their child from school immunization requirements for personal/philosophical, religious or medical reasons. Measles, mumps, and rubella may not be exempted for personal/philosophical reasons. To request an exemption, a completed Certificate of Exemption must be submitted to the school. Certificates of Exemption can be found here: English Spanish


    Information about diseases and the vaccines that can prevent them can be found on the DOH website

    COVID-19 Vaccine Information

  • Meningococcal Disease and Prevention

    What is meningococcal disease?

    Meningococcal disease is a serious bacterial infection. Fortunately, this life-threatening illness is rare, with only 20-30 cases reported each year in Washington. The most common symptoms of the disease include fever, cough, headache, and rash. It can cause meningitis (swelling of the covering of the brain and spinal cord) The disease spreads quickly through close contact with an infected person. Teens and young adults are more likely to get meningococcal disease, especially if they live in group settings like college dorms.

    How can I protect my child from meningococcal disease?

    The meningococcal congujate vaccine, or MCV4, prevents against four types of the disease. It is a 2-dose series recommended for all children between 11 and 12 years of age, and again at 16 to 18 years of age. The meningococcal B vaccine, or MenB, is recommended for some children with rare health conditions or who are at risk during a meningococcal B outbreak. 

    For more information about meningococcal disease and how to prevent it: 

    Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and Prevention

    What is HPV?

    HPV is a common virus. Most people exposed to HPV will never develop health issues. But for others, HPV causes major health problems, including cervical, anal, vulvar, mouth, and throat cancer. Most infected people have no symptoms and may spread the  virus without knowing it. HPV spreads mainly through sexual contact. 

    How can I protect my child from HPV? 

    Make sure your child gets the HPV vaccine. The vaccine is highly effective. The HPV vaccine can prevent infection from some of the most common and serious types of HPV that cause cancer and genital warts. The vaccine does not get rid of existing HPV infections. 

    Who should get the vaccine and when should they get it?

    Because the vaccine is more effective when given at younger ages, two doses of HPV vaccine are recommended for all boys and girls starting at ages 9 to 14. If boys or girls do not get the first dose of HPV vaccine before age 15, it is recommended as a three-dose series. 

    For more information on HPV, the vaccine, and cervical cancer: 

    Where can I find the meningococcal and HPV vaccines?

    Talk to your healthcare provider about the vaccines your child needs. In addition to meningococcal and HPV, your preteen should receive Tdap. Washington offers vaccines at no cost to kids through age 18. Providers may charge an office visit fee or administration fee to give the vaccine. If you can't afford these fees, you can ask to have them waived.