Why use Google Apps and Microsoft Office 365?
- To provide students with access to current technology applications and free tools designed for collaboration with other students and teachers
- To give students the ability to work on their documents both in school and at home - anytime and anywhere from any Internet connected device
- To help students work collaboratively, engage in peer-editing of documents, and publish for a wider audience within the Grandview School District
- To facilitate “paperless” transfer of work between students and teachers
- To provide adequate long-term storage space for student work
- A potential cost savings in terms of software licensing and document storage
How are the Grandview School District, Google, and Microsoft linked together?
- Grandview School District's agreements with Google and Microsoft provide access to applications and storage. While Google and Microsoft host these services off-site, the District maintains the ability to manage users, groups, and settings, much like other locally hosted systems. This means that GSD can grant and remove user access, and control other settings to ensure a safe and secure collaboration environment for students and teachers.
What personal student information and student education records will be stored by Google and Microsoft?
- The terms of the Google and Microsoft contracts with Grandview School District mandate that we have parental permission for the use of their online services. On the permission form that parents are asked to sign, it states that "information about my child will be collected and stored electronically." Neither Google nor Microsoft request any personal information from students and the District does not provide personal student data (ex. birthdate, address, phone number, grades, test scores) to either entity. That information resides in the GSD student information system and is not stored by, nor available to, Google or Microsoft. The permission form also states that "my student's education records stored in cloud services "may be accessible to someone other than my student and the Grandview School District". Examples of student education records in Google and Microsoft are assignments, notes, calendars and projects created by the student.
How are students identified in Google Apps and Microsoft Office 365?
- Students will log in using the following pattern:
- User name: 5-digitID@stu.gsd200.org
- Password: GSD password
Example: Mary Student, with student ID 01234 = firstname.lastname@example.org